FAMU Womens’ Dormitories

FAMU 013SouthArc completed HABS Level II documentation for the original womens’ dormitories at Florida A&M University in Tallahassee in 2016.  The dorms originated as an L-shaped, 3-1/2 story brick structure called McGuinn Hall.  It was designed in the Georgian Revival style by Rudolph Weaver in 1937.  Between 1946 and 1948, Diamond Hall was added to the north end to form the present U-shaped building.  Diamond was designed by Guy C. Fulton, who succeeded Weaver as the campus architect.  In 2017, SouthArc continued documentation of the womens’ dormitory complex with HABS Level II documentation of Cropper and Wheatley Halls, which face McGuinn-Diamond to create a quadrangle between the four halls.  Cropper and Wheatley were designed by L. Phillips Clarke & Associates, Architects along with Guy Fulton, and built in 1948.  All four buildings are in the Georgian Revival style.  SouthArc was ably assisted in these projects by Penny Rogo of MamaRazzi Foto in Tampa, Florida.